<quote who="Simon Bryan">

> The question is can I go to Samba 3 and completely replace the Windows
> server - therefor no access licences to worry about. Has anyone done this
> that can give me amy pitfalls to watch out for?

Only a few minor compatibility issues (but they're documented). The major
thing is "don't expect this to *be* Windows". Lots of PHBs or ex-Windows
types seem to think "aha, el-cheap Windows, let's go!" and then find out
pretty quickly that it's not. This can be a bad thing, or a good thing if
managed correctly.

> Will I need a separate authentication server such as LDAP or will the
> SAMBA server do the authentication and user management?

You can do either. The benefit of using LDAP is that you can do so much more
with it, and integrate with your Windows authentication information. It's
very helpful (but has an interesting learning curve of its own).

- Jeff

                          Penguinillas Pack GNUzis