On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Steven O'Reilly wrote:

> Michael
>
> If you use the debian install cd it should act as a rescue boot disk, you
> DO need to select this option or it will wipe and reinstall your system.
> Once it does you can start linux and then just type 'lilo' or '/sbin/lilo'
> at the prompt and it should restore your previous config.
>
> you can read the /etc/lilo.conf file to find out what it is actually
> writing

Ok, I got myself the Debian install CD so I booted into rescue mode and
got back into Linux.

I tried restoring the old backup mbr config by running
'dd if=/boot/boot.0300 of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1'

But that didn't work. After that I tried going back to XP's recovery
console and running 'fixmbr \device\harddisk0', but that didn't work
either. I thought I was in the clear because instead of unplugging my
Linux drive, I disabled it in BIOS, but then when I tried unplugging it, I
got the same "Disk read error" ? Why would this be happening?

Should I try running 'fixboot' from the Recovery Console with my linux
drive plugged in? (I initially tried it with my linux drive unplugged but
it didn't work)

Should I try uninstalling LILO by running 'lilo -u' ? Would that make any
difference?

I had a look at /etc/lilo.conf, here's a condensed version of it:

# --------------
# /etc/lilo.conf
# --------------

lba32