Maybe you could. But you certainly couldn't when these babies came out a number of years ago.

As for the original question. I don't have an Octane, but I have had my eye on them including those sold on Ebay in Australia by networkr I think. Anyway as far as I have been able to reseach, you may be able to get it to run in console mode only through a serial port -- but probably NOT. There has been moderate success with the very older Indys but not much else.

The mips port for linux is quite thorough but is mostly centered around the embeded market. The primary problem is the video subsystem and possibly the audio as well. SGI have not at any time made availlable the details necessary to build drivers for the video system. The IP30 (Octanes) have heaps of asics for the video and there aren't any data sheets to be had.

Consequently those wonderful machines start to look less attractive, Irix might be fun but thats not what this newsgroup is about. ;-) A real pity with all that custom fully OpenGl horsepower to be had.

Going by what you (Jasper) wrote if its a 400 Mhz machine its probably an R12000 unit or less likely at that price an R14000. Good luck and if you have any success or trip over any new information please email me. That goes for anyone else out there too.....

Because I am dead keen to have one of these babies. Along with my other obscene wish -- a fast Alpha. ( I have a 900 Mhz Samsung Alpha cpu) I just need a whole machine/motherboard to put it in.

Cheers.
D.

Richard Neal wrote:

Give me $2k and I would build a kick arse AMD 64 bit machine