On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 15:00, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 11-12-2003 01:49:13 AM:
>
> > I need to setup a couple of users for access to a project, ftp and shell
> > aceess.
> >
> > using webmin, I've edited home dir to
> > '/home/project/www' (from /home/username)
> >
> > (hmmm, why did the prompt change to 'bash-2.05a$' ?)(after altering home
> > dir ?)
> >
> You really need ~/.bashrc ~/.bash_profile and other ~/.* files from their
> home directory if you want their home directory to be /home/project/www
>
> > is that a 'good idea' ?
> >

> I'm not sure, I would suggest keeping it under /home, just because its a
> standard.
>
> What do they need shell access for? can't you script something up so
> telnet/ssh to a menu?

What does the original poster actually want to do? Allow people to
upload files to a public server?

The best thing would be to use SFTP. Its installed by defualt on most
distros, has clients everywhere, doesn't make the users use a particular
interface, and unlike telnet and per user ftp, is secure.

Mike\