On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 04:42:33PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Kevin Waterson">
>
> > Do I get $0.25 refund if I format my flash card as ext2?
>
> Why do you think your vendor will charge you for the format of their media?

Because http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/ip/tech/fat.asp says:

    A  license  for  removable  solid  state  media  manufacturers  to
    preformat  the  media,  such as compact flash memory cards, to the
    Microsoft  FAT  file  system format, and to preload data onto such
    preformatted  media  using  the  Microsoft FAT file system format.
    Pricing  for  this license is US$0.25 per unit with a cap on total
    royalties of $250,000 per manufacturer.

> Talk about nasty grey areas. The patents, should anyone actually care about
> them, would affect software implementation of functionality provided by FAT
> rather than media formatted with FAT.

That's covered too:

    A  license  for  manufacturers  of  certain  consumer  electronics
    devices.  Pricing for this license is US$0.25 per unit for each of
    the  following  types  of  devices  that use removable solid state
    media  to  store  data:  portable  digital still cameras; portable
    portable  digital  audio  players; portable digital video players;
    portable  digital  audio/video  players;  multifunction  printers;
    electronic  photo  frames;  electronic  musical  instruments;  and
    standard televisions. Pricing for this license is US$0.25 per unit
    with  a  cap  on total royalties of $250,000 per licensee. Pricing
    for other device types can be negotiated with Microsoft.

Cheers,

John
--
whois [EMAIL PROTECTED]