On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 03:25:49PM +1100, Peter Vogel wrote:

> I used scp -pr but all the files end up being owned by "root".
>
> I thought -p will preserve everything.  But the man page on my RH8
> installation does not say it does.  Is this a version problem?

     -p      Preserves modification times, access times, and modes from
             the original file.

There's nothing there about preserving user and group.  If you want to
do that, try rsync (use -a).  Even then, that only root (on the
destination host) can fully preserve user and group information because
ordinary users don't have privilege to set user to anyone else or group
to any group of which they're not a member.

Cheers,

John
--
whois [EMAIL PROTECTED]