Edwin,

You say that you are printing a postscript file. Do you mean that you
have a postscript file that is then rendered by ghostscript to a raster
(bitmap) image which is then sent to the windows printer? If this is
case then you may well be needlessly invoking ghostscript, particularly
if your windows printer already supports native postscript printing. You
probably want to arrange your printer filters (the magic that cups or
lpr uses) so that postscript is passed directly through without
processing.

(Ghostscript /postscript is really optimised for text and vector
rendering rather than processing bitmaps. But it is the common page
description language that we have. Particular with graphics if you can
avoid scaling  computation performance will be a lot better. Whether you
actually can control that is another matter)

Martin

Martin Visser ,CISSP
Network and Security Consultant
Technology & Infrastructure - Consulting & Integration
HP Services

3 Richardson Place
North Ryde, Sydney NSW 2113, Australia
Phone *: +61-2-9022-1670    Mobile *: +61-411-254-513
   Fax 7: +61-2-9022-1800     E-mail * : [EMAIL PROTECTED]