On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:31:23 +1100
Karl Bowden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From what I can determine the DHCP request returns an ip in the range of
> 192.168.100.x instead of an external/usable ip.

That doesn't look right. Have you tried running dhclient manually?

> Is anybody else experiencing this?

Not at the moment.

> Has anybody else had this problem in the past?

Yep! Bigpong regularly screws their own network causing problems like
this.

First power cycle your machine and cable modem. It won't help, but
Bigpond support will ask you to do this anyway.

Then ringing Bigpong support and ask if there is an outage in your area.
Insist that it is their problem not yours. Tell then you have already
power cycled the machine and modem.

If this doesn't help wait until after 10 am tomorrow when the idiot
who unplugged the network comes back in. If it still isn't working
at 10 am after another power cycle, ring again.

HTH,
Erik