Ken you must be tired... there's probably heaps of people out there with
second hand hubs & switches who can help Nicholas out :-) (heck I've got a
spare 10Mb hub I'd part with for $20 neg.) Routing & subnets is just
making a simple LAN difficult here.

Nicholas, you're going to have to manually set the IP addresses on each
ethernet card in each operating system. To send packets from computer A to
computer C via computer B is called routing, computer B will need routing
enabled. If you persist without the hub setup IP's something like this
perhaps.

[computer A] 192.168.2.3 (default route to 192.168.2.1)

   | crossover cable
   |
   |   192.168.2.1 eth0
[computer B]
   |   192.168.2.2 eth1
   |
   | crossover cable

[computer C] 192.168.2.4 (default route to 192.168.2.2)

Assuming computer B is linux turn on routing in the file /etc/sysctl.conf
(on redhat at least).. otherwise add
echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file for example.
Hey, there might even be an "enable routing" option in some gui
somewhere... I don't know, I seem to find the gui ways last.

There's probably a way to do it in Windows too, don't ask here ;-)

As for sharing the net... lets try that another time ;-)

--
Electronic Hobbyist, Former Arcadia BBS nut, Occasional nudist,