Thank Chris,
All good. (Sheepishly admits that I'm also using an Intel PRO 100 VE - good lesson for
me about exact hardware names and questions/gogling therof right there. Nice second
guess of my idiocy BTW)

So it was:
Download source from Intel
unpack with tar -zxvf e100*
cd e100*
(ensure correct kernel headers installed.)
make
(to get e100.o)
su to root
copy e100.0 to /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf24/kernel/drivers/net/
run modconf
install e100
all good

Thanks also to Shaun

ifconfig eth0 ip.address.xxx.xxx
dhclient eth0
bpalogin

And here I am posting messages of thanks from the new box under debian unstable.
SLUG ROCKS!!!

Happy summer to all.
Hal

On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 15:01, Hal Ashburner wrote:
> Does that make any sense?
> I've just got a sneaking suspicion I could download kernel
sources, burn to cd, unpack in my debian, compile & install the same
and I still won't be able to get onto the net. Having said that, I
really have no clue.

This is how I once installed Debian woody on my system (which has an
Intel PRO 100VE).

Firstly, I did a base install of Debian with compilers and
kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf24.

Along with this, I had downloaded the source for the e100 module from
Intel's website. I then compiled the modules by doing ./configure;make

After performing 'make', rather than doing 'make install' -- I
mounted a
vfat-formatted floppy and copied *.o to the floppy disk.

Then, during the install -- after installing the modules off the CD --
just before choosing the 'configure and load modules' bit, I switched
over to the 2nd virtual terminal (alt+f2) and mounted /floppy.

I then cd'd to /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf24/kernel/drivers/net/ and ran:
cp
/floppy/* ./

I then unmounted /floppy and returned to the normal install where I
then
continued to the module configuration where I loaded 'e100'
 from the list of network card drivers.

Hope this helps.

--
- Chris