On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:54:34AM +1100, Alan L Tyree wrote:
> I have a box with a video card that claims to have 32mb memory. Running
> at 1028x768, the best I can get is 8 colour depth. Is this about right?

The maths on this is pretty simple - the number of bits you need to store your
image is with * height * bpp.  Divide by 8 for bytes.

So, 1024x768 = 786432 pixels, at 8bpp is < 1MB.  Even at 32bpp, you're still
running at < 4MB.  Something's rooted somewhere.  Of course, modern video cards
use their memory for a lot more than storing the current image, but I've never
seen a card modern enough to have 32MB of video memory that can't push itself
to 1600x1200 or so.

Either your card is lying, or you've got something squirrelly going on in your
X config.  Does /var/log/XFree86.0.log tell you *why* it's not giving you any
sensible modes?

- Matt