G'day...

> I am using now quite often the -v option to grep since I learnt of that
> one. It removes a pattern from the imput to grep. Quite useful.

Especially when checking for the existence of a process running...

For example:

# ps -xwa | grep process-name | grep -v grep

This will remove the grep process itself from the resultant output...

Ie.

# ps -xwa | grep process-name

will give the output:

5123       process-name
7843       grep process-name

Whilst the former command will only output the first line..

And lets not forget the gnu tools of cut, paste, split and sort are
fantastic - very great for text manipulation and hunting through logs.

All the best...

Mike