Hi,

Greg Cockburn wrote:

Hi all,

sorry for the off topic post, but I thought I would ask the opinions of like minded people.

I am moving to Sydney in about a week, and am looking for a bank, telco and ISP.

I have looked at Commonwealth Banks site, but it does not render properly in Konq or Moz, so I am going to presume that their internet banking doesn't work properly either.

I use commbank and it works fine for me in Moz/Firebird and I think I remember it working correctly in Konq also.

So are there any other banks you would reccommend that have excellent electronic facilities. (I currently do 99.99% of my banking electronically. EFT-POS, CC, Internet, little cash, no cheques)

How about Telcos? I have been looking at Optus, any problems with them? What about Telstra? All I really need is a phone and someway of connecting a cable/ADSL/DSL modem. (Maybe some Digital TV in the future?).

And ISPs. I want to get some form of high speed internet. I currently have a cable modem, fixed IP, reverse DNS, 256kbps/128kbps. With a 100G local traffic cap and 10G international traffic cap. The cable modem kinda acts like a bridge. (IP is on the machine the modem is connected to, not the modem).

If you are after a cable internet then Optus is the best choice currently, althought the plans are nothing like you have currently. Downstream speed is uncapped while upstream is capped at 128. The data allowance per month on the new plans are 12GB on Standard and 20GB on the Pro plan. Dynamic IP.

Are you looking at running servers, if so then Optus is not for you as they block port 80, 25 and a couple of others. You are better off getting DSL in that case. iiNet (www.iinet.net.au) have just released new plans which look pretty tasty. The "standard" speed for DSL is 512/128, although the new plans are offering 1.5/256 for a pretty good price.

Is there something like this here? Does it depend where you live? Who gives the best service? Who do you use? Why?

Yes, it depends where you live as to wether you are cable or DSL servicable. Not all phone exchanges are DSL servicable and depending on where you do move to you might have to pay more for DSL as you might not be in a "Regional" area.

Thanks for all the help!
Looking forward to arriving in Sydney.

Greg

Cya,