Hi,

You might want to check out Trickle (http://monkey.org/~marius/trickle/). I haven't used it myself so I don't know if it is exactly what you need.

Freshmeat blurb:

trickle is a lightweight, portable, per-application bandwidth shaper. It works in collaboration, has peak detection, and does smoothing. trickle works entirely in userland and does not require root to run. It has been developed on OpenBSD and is known to run on Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris.

--

Shane

Gottfried Szing wrote:

hi,

maybe to pick up the discussion about the favorite tool in use, which has appeared two weeks ago on this list.

does someone know a tool for file transfer which offers a way to limit the traffic speed? the problem is that i am using a dial up connection and during the download everything responds in slow motion. :(( so, my idea is to limit the download speed, eg 50% of the whole bandwidth, and the rest is dedicated for surfing and reading mails.

protocol (scp, http, ftp, ...) does not matter, because i want to download the files from my on server. and i dont like to install with QOS and stuff like this. dont want to change my kernel config for this.

TIA, gottfried