HI  all,
Two versions of this story:
SHORT VERSION:
1. How do I ensure that there are no firewalls enabled in a RH7.2 install?
ie if they are enabled what do I do to turn them off?

LONG VERSION:
2. I had an old HP server with a SCSI drive running RH7.2 and shared with
Samba. The power supply died and I did not have a spare, as it was an old
machine I decided to just move the HDD into another machine running RH8.
The network was not enabled on this machine as it had no NIC, so I
installed one and ran a RH Upgrade on the RH8 IDE drive to get it to RH9.
Apparently I should have selected to leave the boot loader alone, as when
it was finished the machine would only boot to a grub prompt, this
happened from the HDD and the Floppy.
I found that I could edit the files on the floppy and get it to boot the
image on the SCSI drive, I coule then mount the IDE drive as /mnt/ide
which worked and after much mucking about I finally got the network up and
running - had to put a link from /lib/modules to the 2.4.20-8 directory in
the IDE /lib/modules, (guess the image on the floppy needed the newer
kernel?). Anyways thisworked and I was able to copy my data files from the
SCSI drive to a CD using SAMBA. Then I had to shutdown the machine to put
all the covers back on and move it into it's normal position. Next time it
booted all seemed OK, except it cannot be see on the network and if I try
to ping from it I get 'sendto: Operation not permitted'. However it IS
getting it's IP address from my Router using DHCP, I have it's MAC address
in the router and give it the same IP each time, if I change that IP the
IP on eth0 changes accordingly when I reload. eth0 is starting, stopping,
reloading etc with no errors that I can find, just it is sealed off from
the world. I can always do a complete re-install as I have backupped my
data, but I wouldiek to know what is happening.

Cheers,

--

Simon Bryan
IT Manager