Mary Gardiner wrote:
I've set up amavis with clamav on my machine (Debian, MTA = Postfix) and
it certainly seems to be finding viruses.

However, I'm wondering whether I keep be the default setup, or tell
amavis not to warn the sender that they have a virus. Its config file
claims that it knows which viruses forge senders, but it looks like I
have to update this by hand (practically every new virus forges senders,
it seems).

And of course, I don't want to contribute to the growing "you have a
virus!" warning message problem which is growing as fast as the viruses
themselves.

What are people doing with their virus scanners? Not warning senders?
Warning only senders of non-forging viruses? How do you keep your
"forging" list up to date?
-Mary

At this point Personally I have turned out warnings to senders completly as of the last 5 or 6 Major virus to hit my customers that have all been spoofing the from address.

I have it setup so that it sends me an email for every virus so I can run them through a scanner and see if they are comming from any of my customers IP's then I can notify them manually. And I have it so that it sends an email to the customers so they know that it is stopping email. I have been complained to by whinning customers who say that I am charging them for AV scanning but they don't get any virus! I mean you can't please some people.

Thats what I am doing at this point! Have not sorted out what I exactly want to do with SPAM that goes along with this yet still working through that one!

David