I'm new to debian - actually Knoppix on a hard disk. The sources.list
was just the woody 3.0r2 cdroms. I installed Sylpheed from those disks
since that is the email client of choice for my wife.

I wanted to upgrade to a later version of Sylpheed. Added an internet
source to sources.list: deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/debian/
unstable main non-free contrib

apt-get update

apt-get install sylpheed

produced a list of packages to download: over 28mb. Too much for my
dial-up connection this morning.

Downloaded the latest .tar.bz2 file, 2+mb ./configure, make, make
install

worked a treat.

My question: Why did apt-get think I needed so much additional material?
Is there some different command I should use?

etc, etc, etc.
Thanks,
Alan