Not sure of your specific problem other than low amount of mem to do
Swing GUI. Swing stuff renders and runs AOK on my box but I've got a
1.2Ghz with .5Gb ram.

A better Java GUI presented itself two years ago and is making a lot of
ground as it uses the native platform graphical widgets to render stuff.
It's called SWT. If you get eclipse(.org) you are running the SWT.

The reason swing is often slow is that when it paints a window it draws
all the lines itself with a set of draw commands. SWT says 'hey draw a
window you windowing tool kit you (be it Windoze or GTK)' and it's done.
Same for the other widgets. I believe that SUN have been doing a similar
thing to SWT in swing with GTK but I don't know where it's at.

There are SWT native bindings(wrappers) for Windoze, GTK and Motif(!).

I use it for most new GUI work. It's fast and stable.

HTH

Stu