On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Simon Bryan wrote:

> Hi all,
> This is a continuation of a problem I was having before, where  directory
> is exported via NFS but when it is mounted on another machine gives an old
> copy of the directory.
>
> I think I know what is happening but not the cure!
>
> The directory in question is /var/auc/course, but I have just realised
> that in fact there is a second (IDE B) drive mounted at /var/auc/course (I
> ran out of room on the old disk and simply copied the data to the new disk
> and then mounted it). I believe that what I am seeing on the NFS share is
> the original directory from the first IDE drive. I can't unmount at the
> moment and see, as this would bring down a particularly busy system, need
> to give 24 hours notice!
>
> Does this sound logical? If so is there a way I can get the NFS mount to
> see the real data on the second IDE drive?

Not sure if someone's beaten me to it but there's no ideal way with NFS
that I know of. It will always exhibit this behaviour because of the way
it uses inodes or something techie like that(tm). In other words it can
only handle ONE FILESYSTEM PER MOUNT.
Solution 1:
add the mount point to /etc/exports on the NFS server
Solution 2:
Use another technology such as Samba

NFS will allow full unix permissions & attributes to be maintained but (as
far as I'm aware) Samba won't since it's emulating DOS permissions. IE the
files will appear to be owned by the same user and have approx 0x775
permissions (-rwxrwxr-x) depending on how you set it up.

--
Electronic Hobbyist, Former Arcadia BBS nut, Occasional nudist,