Richard Hayes wrote:

Dear list,

Now that xDSL connections are as low $40 /mth, is it possible to run VoIP?

Possible YES

Reliable Not really. Not on a Residential DSL service. You would want something on a Reliable network that has SLA's, or you are likley to be chatting to blank space a lot of the time :( :(

What are the problems and can you call a 'normal' phone?

The Lagg or the time it takes VIA the Internet to get from the other IP phone or the VoIP Gateway.

It can work and I have seen it done. Once they get the VoIP packet size down or they QoS the Res DSL products so that VoIP gets priority you will suffer from dropouts or blank spots durring the conversation.

It does work well on a Business grade DSL that has SLA's and can work very sucessfully. Before it becomes mainstream outside of the local LAN enviroment there needs to be inprovement in our Internet Delivery Networks and maybe even some improvement on the Codecs to reduce their size and make it more reliable to get through.

It is a Fun product and I am sure that this year and next there will be some really fun and inavative things come onto the market to make it avaliable to more and more consumers. Just have to wait and see.

David

Richard Hayes
Nada Marketing - Australia & UK
2/713 Pacific Hwy Gordon Australia 2072

Ph +(61-2) 9418 4545 Fax +(61-2) 9418 4348 Mob +(61) 0414 618 425

www.nada.com.au