On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 07:05:21 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Been at Jaycar today. The only appropriate (exact match) adapter is a multi

There's no such thing as an exact match in plugpacks.  I've yet to
encounter one that was within even 10% at rated load, and with no load
it's more like +50%.

> voltage notebook one, marked up to $130-something, which is around the price

$130?  Bloody hell.  What a rip-off.  There's bugger all in them - a
typical plugpack contains a cheap transfomer, a bridge rectifier (four
diodes in a single package) and, if you're lucky, one or two
electrolytic capacitors to smooth the output.  You should be able to
make one for around $30 or so, even at retail prices.

> of a new scanner. I'm not fully convinced I should run it out of spec. :-)

I wouldn't expect it to matter.  If the voltage is even slightly
critical it'll have an internal regulator - if the original power
supply really is a plugpack and not an external regulated supply - so
as long as you're withing cooee of the right voltage you'll be fine.
Current capacity is far more important - make sure the replacement
plugpack can supply enough.

Look at it this way: your scanner is stuffed anyway without a power
supply, so what do you have to lose? :-)

Cheers,

John
--
whois [EMAIL PROTECTED]