Ken Foskey wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 12:35, Phil Scarratt wrote:
>>I have been spending the last six months working to get the first open
>>source or free software CDs available in libraries as lending CDs. I
>>have now succeeded; 415 public libraries out of a possible 507 have
>>accepted them in Scotland.

> It was not quite that simple and guess what it was OpenOffice.org :-)
> There is a definite market for a subscription service for updating these
> CD's if a distributor was to take it on.  Might be a SLUG project.

What would be nice would be a jukebox/vending machine like thing in
libraries. In its most basic use you could go up to it and from the
screen select what open source software you want and it will burn it
onto CD/DVD on-the-spot. It will always have access to the most
up-to-date version as it would mirror or pull down the files from aarnet
or pacfic.net.au etc when needed.

But it can be a pain to stand in front of a machine and select 500 MB of
software for a CD so it also has in it a web server. From any PC in the
library you could view the web page and select the software that you
want. Then wander over to the machine and pickup your CD.

The business model is that it charges $10.00 for the CD and $20 for a
DVD. Many libraries have the bandwidth for such a machine to keep
up-to-date and the environment where the machine wont be abused.
Still making a machine like that aint cheap :-(
(Naturally it runs Debian internally)

Mike
--
Michael Lake
Chemistry, Materials & Forensic Science, UTS

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for
viruses and defects.