On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 11:56:36 +1100, James Gregory wrote:

> So there's a clamav-virusdb mailing list that sends emails when the
> virus-db is updated. The idea was just to setup procmail to catch posts
> to that mailing list and run freshclam every time there's a new virus

Why not just run freshclam regularly via cron?  It first checks the md5
sums of the two databse files, and only downloads updates if the md5
sum has changed.  Each md5 sum request is only around 300 bytes, so it
won't blow out your bandwidth bill :-)

There are two database files, one is 2.7MB and is updated monthly
IIRC.  The other is (currently) only 140KB and is the one that is
frequently updated.  The last update to that file was sometime between
9:00 and 10:00 this morning, and since Jan 25th has changed 32 times,
an average of about once per day.  I haven't logged the size of the
updates, but it'd be less than 10MB in total for the whole month.

Cheers,

John
--
whois [EMAIL PROTECTED]