Got back to work today and started checking this - first no joy at all.
Still the same issues, except if I deleted the entries in modules.conf
there were no errors during startup, the system indiscated the ethx ports
had started - but they hadn't!!

So pulled the server out of the rack to check jumpers on the mother board,
they were both set to enable, what the heck moved one to disable and both
NIC's came up (to this point I was not even getting green lights). The
tech said they wouldn't power up until the drivers were running properly -
shouldn't listen to him. Thought that was weird so put them both back to
enable and got two brand new cables out of the box - both NIC's with
lights and no errors on startup!! Yeah!!
Must have been the cables - which is weird as they worked with the
previous mother board.

Put the server back in the rack, same cables, only one comes on!!!
Arghhhhhhh. But at least that card is working fine. Now have to pull it
out of the rack again!!!!!! Ain't life grand!

--

Simon Bryan
IT Manager