<quote who="Michael Still">

> > Controversially, it's based on Mono. Hmm. :-)
>
> I was reading an article the other day (from somewhere on the OnLamp site)
> that implied pretty strongly that Mono / C# would be the preferred
> development platform for Gnome 3.0. Is that correct?

Though Edd (Dumbill, the author) is certainly a GNOME developer, he nor
anyone else in The GNOME Project knows what "3.0" will be at all. There are
no plans whatsoever at this stage - the only thing we have general agreement
on is that 3.0 will mark the API/ABI compatibility break point, which will
probably just mean that we fully remove everything we deprecated during the
2.x releases. :-)

Beyond the current crop off applications built on Mono, I don't know what
its future will hold in GNOME. At some stage, we will definitely want to
start using managed code (Python, Java, Mono, whatever) in GNOME "official"
software releases...

Well, if nothing else is certain, I know for sure that there be a lot of
debate. :-)

- Jeff

   "They are, as I told Telsa, all very small cheques. Indeed our cheques
   only come in one size, otherwise cheque books would be far too hard to
                          manufacture." - Alan Cox