On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 06:18:35PM +1100, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> The PCMCIA card loads just fine in Debian Woody, and connected with the
> Linksys router used at the Debian Bug Squish at Sydney Uni last saturday
> just fine.  It's working ok.
>
> The Dl-624 is in daily use as a wired router, and connects with another
> 802.11b device I have reliably.  It's working ok.
>
> But they won't speak with each other, so they're not so useful to me.
> I'd like to get them working, or I'd like to replace one of them with
> something that works with the other.
>
> Fixing them would be best - I might learn something (hey, it could
> happen).  If someone's interested in one or the other and we can work
> out something that helps me to replace it, I'll entertain that idea too.

>From memory, you're using WEP at home, right?  Try disabling all that sort
of thing first.  Get them talking before trying anything more[1].  I've heard
of several compatibility problems between WiFi systems.  Make sure ESSID
broadcast is happening, and that all the AP settings are sane -
infrastructure mode, and so on, but I presume those are OK otherwise the
other card wouldn't be working.

If that doesn't work, and the other card is working fine detecting the ESSID
and so on, then it's quite possibly a fundamental incompatibility between
the devices.  Sometimes it happens.  I'm not WiFi enabled for much the same
reason - my old .11 card won't talk to the DWL-2000 AP I bought.  Shit
happens.  Haven't managed to make it work under *any* circumstances, but it
talks to other APs fine.  Hey, we can swap cards if you don't mind a 5x
speed decrease.  <grin>

- Matt

[1] Once you've got it working in open mode, you can start bolting other
stuff on.  Worst case, you're running IPSec, SSL or SSH tunnels over the
open connection for security purposes.