> > > After first boot settings entered for eth0 where lost. Sorted
> > > all this out and all works fine after running ifup eth0, but
> > > this interface isn't started at boot. So... How does Debian
> > > 3.0 r2 normally start network interfaces at bootup?
> >
> >In /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> Ummm... yeh... I've edited this apropriately, so when I bring up the
> interface manually it works ok... But how does Debian start the
> interfaces at boot, so I don't have to running ifup eth0, everytime I
> boot?

Define "appropriately"...

Definition = Copied from a latop on the same network, except with different IP :-)

# /etc/network/interfaces -- blah blah
# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
# The First NIC - Created by me manually, coz the install has NFI
iface eth0 inet static
 address 192.168.0.2
 netmask 255.255.255.255.0
 network 192.168.0.0
 broadcast 192.168.0.255
 gateway 192.168.0.1

Make sure that "network" in /etc/rc2.d/ is actually starting.

Did this (I think) by creating the sym' link; S40networking -> ../init.d/networking Hope this is right... got this frm finding same in rcS.d

Anyway seems to be starting, as I get the mesage at boot;
Configuring network interfaces: ifup : interface lo already configured
done.