On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 07:58:10PM +1000, Tony Green wrote:
> Evening all,
>
> I've got a machine which has been vandalised, it looks like someone has
> copied/dd'ed /dev/random over the hard drive(s).
>
> Obviously, they're not mountable, the paritions are borked (rebulit but
> still not usable) and some of the data's going to be useless.
>
> From some digging, I can see some data towards the mid-end of the disk,
> so it didn't finish.
>
> Anyone know any ways of automating part of the recovery?

Have a look at
        http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2004/03/msg00204.html
        http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2004/03/msg00211.html
and that thread generally.

There have been quite a few similar queries/threads in the past.
Try googling for "recovery site:lists.slug.org.au"

Of course if you're willing to pay, there are a bunch of professional
recovery companies around.

--
Matt