I've got a nova-t on a via 10K. It's a good card, no lockups so far but I still haven't got mythtv going. More a time issue than anything else.

You need linuxtv-dvb. I've heard it's built into 2.6 kernel but the media box is a 2.4 kernel - works OK anyway.

The nova-t is around $200 with no MPEG decode it that helps. The Via 10K boards have mpeg decoding built in but its a bitch to get going. There is a binary version on Xine that does it.

PVRs from my experience suck up a long of time.

HTH

Stu

Michael F wrote:

I'd actually recommend going with a DVB-T card. All TV stations now broadcast as an MPEG-2 stream as well as analogue, and the picture quality far exceeds that of any analogue card I've seen. There is zero interference from the internals of the PC.

Most cards work well under linux. I've been using the hauppauge nova-t card for a while in a remote (> 10,000km) box, and have never had a fault with it, even though i record shows almost daily.

I am either going to get the nova-t or the visionplus, but still very undecided. I guess I will have to do more research. What distribution do you run on your linux machine acting as the PVR?

Can those who have a working unit point me to some docs to read up on it and
also maybe lead me to several applications used on the machine acting as the
PVR etc. I've got a spare Celeron 2.4Ghz machine here and hey if I get
either pci card, might put the card in the machine and install linux to
experiment myself.

Any links and feedback appreciated.