Erich Schulz wrote:

usbmodules can be told to return the matching value in the /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap file. But I don't know how to extract the values from the lsusb or usbview data, into the format of usb.usermap file to give me a match

Does anything at all happen when you plug it in?

If lsusb and usbview don't want to play then /var/log/messages should at least show what type of usb device it thinks the drive is (but won't give you the numbers you're after), and if there's any errors being generated /var/log/warn should handily report the error messages along with the vendor/product IDs that the system thinks it is dealing with. If it's truly unknown (ie not related to anything in the usb.ids file) then check your version of the file against the one I gave the link for earlier.

I had a similar problem with a usb stick a couple of months ago - a brand new 512MB Comsol drive that no matter what tricks I tried I simply could get to mount under linux. After a couple of days of head scratching (or banging against the wall) I eventually discovered it was due to a truly screwed partition table on the drive, so despite it working under OSX and windoze and showing up as a single 512MB drive, under linux it was showing up as:

/dev/sda         499MB  USB Flash Disk
/dev/sda1        80.4GB Linux Native
/dev/sda2       891.6GB Linux Native
/dev/sda3         1.5TB Win95 Fat32 LBA

Neat trick, huh? Over 2.5 terabytes of storage on a 512MB drive.

I have no idea why this should have been, but deleting the partition table and then creating a new partition on the drive fixed it.

Shame really, I'd quite like to have owned the first ever USB Tardis Drive...

Craig