I just updated my Debian kernel from 2.4.25-1 to 2.4.25-3 and installed
2.4.26-1.

Now when I boot it fails with a kernel panic :-(

The console log shows the following:

<console>
RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0
VFS: Cannot open root device "305" or 03:05
Please append correct "root=" boot option
</console>

It seems to be trying to use devfs which I do not have included in my
lilo.conf.

Using my Fedora installation I can see that the partitions and data are all
okay.

Could someone please tell me how I can stop it trying to use devfs and get it
back to normal?

How can I change my lilo config if I can't boot the system?

Any help greatly appreciated so I can escape XP and get back to reality ;-)

--
Simon Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>