On Fri, May 07, 2004, David wrote:
> You didn't tell us which spam filter, but spamassassin was catching less
> than 50% spams when I stopped using it.

SpamAssassin has Bayesian filtering too these days. People who are
already using it should probably try its sa-learn utility before
jumping spam filters.

For what it's worth, I use SpamAssassin with the learner, and it catches
about 99% of all spam sent to me (this does mean a false negative about
3 times a week though), and hasn't caught a non-spam in months -- I do
use whitelists for some organisations though.

I train it on all my spam and non-spam, and I train it every week on
mail received during that week. (With a cronjob, I just need to make
sure false negatives and positives are moved into an appropriate
folder.) I don't delete the existing token database ever.

-Mary