Peter Rundle wrote:

Sluggers,

following on from the thread on building and maintaining a school web site, I'd like to ask the collective wisdom for input on web site content development and management.

Last time I was involved in this stuff web sites used frames, these seemed to have fallen from favour and most sites appear to be using cascading style sheets to achieve a header, navigation and main page look and feel. These sites appear to be made up of distinct html pages which have common areas. Thus a bookmark of a particular page works properly unlike with frames.

AFAIK, you cannot get a style sheet to include content that is common to all pages. You still have to massage the HTML to do that.

However, what sort of techniques are being used to put these pages together? I played around and managed to successfully create such a site by "hand" but obviously unless the process of merging the main content of the page with the header and the navigate <div> areas was automated this would become painful and lead to typo's etc.

So are most sites generating such pages dynamically at http get time, or are there software packages available to put such content together (Linux based of course)?

very simple soln: use SHTML, i.e. server-side include and other tricks that are available in Apache via the server-parsed facility.

more elaborate soln: the CPAN module called Template Toolkit
(http://www.template-toolkit.org/) is used for dynamically creating
pages with common headers, footers, etc from templates. It also allows
you to run a script through the entire site and roll a static verision,
ready to be deployed as .html files.

cheers rickw

-- _________________________________ Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

There are some justifications for war that money can't buy.
For everything else, there's Master Con.
     -- CNNNN