I got this case from Harris Technology that works really well. It's a DataFab case, supports Firewire, USB 1.1 & 2.0. Never really had a problem with it.
Sometimes have had to unload firewire modules sometimes only when the filesystem's FAT32, but that's usually all the probs I've had with it.
Never had problems with FW & ext3 or USB.

If you want to check out the H.T. site this is the part#:
Our Part No: F2994
Stock Availability:ask
Manu Part No: MD3A-FW2-USB2

Hope this helps.

- Mal

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I am wondering if anyone can recommend an external hdd case that works
with Linux?

I can recommend you do NOT get a SWANN Hi Speed (usb 2.0) case. It claps
out after some success copying. There are lots of posts on the usb forum
suggesting the chipset stinks. FYI, its a 0x05e3:0x0702
Genesyslogic chipset as mentioned on the http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices
list. Unfortunately, when you are in the computer store, the chipset hard
to work out!

ATB

Stu