Chris Deigan wrote:
quote("Del");

I came.
I saw.
The building was locked.

No it wasn't! You just didn't look hard enough. ;-)

It looked very very locked, with big gates all closed shut with big padlocks on them. I spent 20 minutes or so walking around the building and all of the buildings adjacent to it.

There were no entrances that I could see that were not locked.
I tried the handle on every door that I found.  They were all
locked.

Is there some secret subterranean passage that I should have
known about?  A wormhole gateway in from sector 45 alpha?  One
of those groovy ice portals like in Van Helsing?  Pity, because
I would have liked to try the ice thingy, even if there were
vampires on the other side.

There was a room nearby with a Debian logo outside of it.
The room was empty.

Which room is it that you speak of? :>

Down a set of stairs in an adjacent building, immediately east of the Engineering building. At the end of a corridor. It had lots of CROs and PCs and other electronics gear in it. One feature was a big mob of cables with a BNC connector on one end and alligator clips on the other, hanging on some kind of rack near the door.

I'm not sure that it had a name.  It was some kind of lab.

There were no actual people in it.

It wasn't the building that was marked on the map, anyway,
so I was probably in the wrong place.

We came, we saw, we drank (caffiene), some actually coded - and some
even mentioned the word Debian.

...and it's still going.

Good to hear. I did cut some code, on the ferry on the way home. I even have it working now, once I got on the net and figured out why I was getting that particular error. Yay for google.

Perhaps it was easy to find if you were a uni student and know
the secret entrances into the building, which I failed to find.
Trouble is, I went to Uni of WA and not USyd.  So perhaps you
need to restrict these meetings to USyd old boys, put a sign up
(or perhaps several), or make them easier to find.

--
Del