On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 07:50:24 +1000
Johngibbons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A freeware enthusiast,

Freeware usually means software available only as a binary, but
without any cost being imposed.

It is not the same as Free Software and is not the same as Open
Source.

> I am reminded of a lesson I learned when I was in a
> war: "Attack from all sides".

Microsoft is one of the biggest proponents of Freeware in the world.
It has used Freeware like IE and Media Player to wipe its competition
(Netscape, Real and others).

I don't think Freeware can address any of the problems that Free
Software and Open Source attempts to address, namely:

  1) Better quality software through peer review.
  2) Less wastage of programmers time through reuse of code.
  3) Better education of programmers due to the large amounts
     of quality source code.

  N) Destruction of M$ :-).

Erik