On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:37 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:47:18 +1000
>
> Johngibbons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hello to all,
> >
> > A plea for guidance. I am a perennial beginner so it needs to be simple.
> > I have an old laptop that I installed Xandros on, supposedly beside XP.
> > I mucked up the installation and it wiped out XP. Then it would not talk
> > to the internet. So I uninstalled following book directions and, lo!, it
> > vanished but left me with a laptop whose screen says "no system
> > installed".
> >
> > I have two possible steps in mind, either of which will do.  First, to
> > reinstall XP and then add a Linux distro as I was able to do with another
> > distro before I stuffed up the Xandros installation.
> >
> > I have a boot floppy for XP but I get the "A:>\" thing and I do not know
> > what to type after that to get it moving along. So this route is beyond
> > me at the moment.
> >
> > Can someone help out with what I should type in? Please keeping it
> > simple?
> >
> > The other route is to install Lindows 4 or Mandrake 10 exclusively. But
> > when I try that all I get is the "no system installed" notice. Is there
> > something I can type in that will get the installation CD to run?
> >
> > Any guidance gratefully appreciated.
>
> Assuming the windows partition is actually ok, and you have
> merely killed the mbr, you should be able to do one of:
>
> 1. boot from windows cdrom and choose repair
> 2. install linux and use grub to boot the windows partition
>
> Have you configured the bios to boot from cdrom?
> If you can't boot from cdrom, you'll have to boot from floppy.
> There are various ways to get a windows boot floppy or linux
> boot floppy.
>

> Matt

No bios shows up Matt, just a black screen with "no system installed". It
ignores the presence of bootable CDs. It also gets me nowhere when I put in a
boot floppy for XP, because that is when I get the "A:\" showing up. I tried
a boot floppy for Mandrake 10. I got about 8 or 10 lines of indeciferable
stuff followed by the invitation to put in a CD and press any key. I did but
nothing happened except a repeat of the lines of nonsence followed by the
same invitation to insert a CD.

John.