Ben Donohue wrote:

Hi Slugs,

I'm just about to purchase a Dell Inspiron notebook. (Taxtime)
It comes with XP but Linux will definitely be loaded on as well.

Any experiences, Good, Bad or Ugly with Dell and Linux?

I run Debian on a Dell Latitude C840 (similar to earlier Inspiron models).
I've found my latty is well supported. Basically everything works, including the 3Com LAN, PCTel modem and Nvidia video card drivers etc...
Heck, I've even got the ACPI working to some extent, well, I can press the power button and it kills X and then shuts down, yay.

These links may help you.
http://www.linux-laptop.net/dell.html
http://tuxmobil.org/index.html

Check out the chipsets your Dell has and confirm driver support.

Rocci.