Well I don't think it's a network problem. because you can see addresses when
you ping them.
With the mandrakre and SuSE boxes do you have samba installed? have you
considered reading the Samba pdc howto. make xp pro a member of the domain you
created?

have you tried using lineighborhood to use the ip address rather than the
machine name.
I would probably look at doing the following.

smbmount //192.168.0.2/c$ /home/philk/mnt/philxp/C$/ -o blah

because Linux is not a M$ product it doesn't understand the broadcast that
windows sends out in nmbd until you configure samba.

username=philk%*******,fmask=755,uid=1000,gid=100,ip=,debug=0,workgroup=house,port=139