Hi Gavin:

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 10:40:13AM +1000, Louis wrote:
>> Note: To connect to http, ftp I use a proxy server. I specified it here
>> with format <ipaddress>:port number . Anyway please have a look, and let
>> me know why I cannot connect at all.
>>
>> I've also tried wget for ftp, http to get files from the same server,
>> and
>> this as well won't work. Output is below after CPAN.
>
> Two problems:
>
> 1. You want to use 'http://152.76.224.188:3128' for your proxy settings,
> not
> the bare hostname and port (this is probably also your wget issue)
>
> 2. CPAN is trying to talk proper ftp to your proxy, when you probably need
> it to use ftp-over-http instead (since you're using a http proxy, not a
> proper ftp one). One way to hack around it is to try and get your cpan
> init
> to complete, even with bogus settings, and then setup your urllist
> manually,
> using something like:
>
>   o conf urllist [ http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/perl/CPAN/
>
> (from in 'perl -MCPAN -e shell'). Once you get http urls in your urllist
> your proxy should work as you'd expect.

[Louis] I have tried what you said and it still won't work. I paste below
what I did based on what you said. Please help.

# perl -MCPAN -e shell
We have to reconfigure CPAN.pm due to following uninitialized parameters:

urllist

/usr/perl5/5.00503/CPAN/Config.pm initialized.

CPAN is the world-wide archive of perl resources. It consists of about
100 sites that all replicate the same contents all around the globe.
Many countries have at least one CPAN site already. The resources
found on CPAN are easily accessible with the CPAN.pm module. If you
want to use CPAN.pm, you have to configure it properly.

If you do not want to enter a dialog now, you can answer 'no' to this
question and I'll try to autoconfigure. (Note: you can revisit this
dialog anytime later by typing 'o conf init' at the cpan prompt.)

Are you ready for manual configuration? [yes] no
Prototype mismatch: sub CPAN::FirstTime::prompt ($;$) vs none at
/usr/perl5/5.00503/CPAN/FirstTime.pm line 85, <STDIN> chunk 1.

The following questions are intended to help you with the
configuration. The CPAN module needs a directory of its own to cache
important index files and maybe keep a temporary mirror of CPAN files.
This may be a site-wide directory or a personal directory.

I see you already have a  directory
    /u01/app/oracle/.cpan
Shall we use it as the general CPAN build and cache directory?

CPAN build and cache directory? [/u01/app/oracle/.cpan]

If you want, I can keep the source files after a build in the cpan
home directory. If you choose so then future builds will take the
files from there. If you don't want to keep them, answer 0 to the
next question.

How big should the disk cache be for keeping the build directories
with all the intermediate files?

Cache size for build directory (in MB)? [10]

By default, each time the CPAN module is started, cache scanning
is performed to keep the cache size in sync. To prevent from this,
disable the cache scanning with 'never'.

Perform cache scanning (atstart or never)? [atstart]

The CPAN module can detect when a module that which you are trying to
build depends on prerequisites. If this happens, it can build the
prerequisites for you automatically ('follow'), ask you for
confirmation ('ask'), or just ignore them ('ignore'). Please set your
policy to one of the three values.

Policy on building prerequisites (follow, ask or ignore)? [follow]

The CPAN module will need a few external programs to work
properly. Please correct me, if I guess the wrong path for a program.
Don't panic if you do not have some of them, just press ENTER for
those.

Where is your gzip program? [/usr/bin/gzip]

Where is your tar program? [/usr/sbin/tar]

Where is your unzip program? [/usr/bin/unzip]

Where is your make program? [/usr/local/bin/make]

Where is your lynx program? [/usr/local/bin/lynx]

Warning: ncftpget not found in PATH
Where is your ncftpget program? []

Warning: ncftp not found in PATH
Where is your ncftp program? []

Where is your ftp program? [/usr/bin/ftp]

What is your favorite pager program? [/usr/bin/less]

What is your favorite shell? [/bin/bash]

Every Makefile.PL is run by perl in a separate process. Likewise we
run 'make' and 'make install' in processes. If you have any parameters
(e.g. PREFIX, INSTALLPRIVLIB, UNINST or the like) you want to pass to
the calls, please specify them here.

If you don't understand this question, just press ENTER.

Parameters for the 'perl Makefile.PL' command? []

Parameters for the 'make' command? []

Parameters for the 'make install' command? []

Sometimes you may wish to leave the processes run by CPAN alone
without caring about them. As sometimes the Makefile.PL contains
question you're expected to answer, you can set a timer that will
kill a 'perl Makefile.PL' process after the specified time in seconds.

If you set this value to 0, these processes will wait forever. This is
the default and recommended setting.

Timeout for inactivity during Makefile.PL? [0]

If you're accessing the net via proxies, you can specify them in the
CPAN configuration or via environment variables. The variable in
the $CPAN::Config takes precedence.

Your ftp_proxy? []

Your http_proxy? []

Your no_proxy? []

commit: wrote /usr/perl5/5.00503/CPAN/Config.pm

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.48)
ReadLine support available (try ``install Bundle::CPAN'')

cpan>
cpan> o conf urllist http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/perl/CPAN/
    urllist    http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/perl/CPAN/
cpan> o conf gzip /usr/bin/gzip
    gzip    /usr/bin/gzip
cpan> o conf tar
    tar    /usr/sbin/tar
cpan> o conf lynx
    lynx    /usr/local/bin/lynx
cpan> o conf ftp_proxy
    ftp_proxy
cpan> o conf ftp_proxy http://152.76.224.188:3128
    ftp_proxy    http://152.76.224.188:3128
cpan> o conf ftp_proxy
    ftp_proxy    http://152.76.224.188:3128
cpan> o conf http_proxy
    http_proxy
cpan> o conf http_proxy http://152.76.224.188:3128
    http_proxy    http://152.76.224.188:3128
cpan> o conf shell
    shell    /bin/bash
cpan>
cpan> install Bundle::libnet

  Please, install Net::FTP as soon as possible. CPAN.pm installs it for you
  if you just type
      install Bundle::libnet

Trying with "/usr/local/bin/lynx -source" to get
    ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz

Looking up ftp.perl.org
Making FTP connection to ftp.perl.org
Can't Access `ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz'
Alert!: Unable to access document.

lynx: Can't access startfile

System call "/usr/local/bin/lynx -source
'ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz'  >
/u01/app/oracle/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt"
returned status 255 (wstat 65280)
Issuing "/usr/bin/ftp -n"
Lost connection
Not connected.
Local directory now /u01/app/oracle/.cpan/sources/authors
Not connected.
Not connected.
Not connected.
Not connected.
Not connected.
Not connected.
Bad luck... Still failed!
Can't access URL ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz.

Please check, if the URLs I found in your configuration file () are valid.
The urllist can be edited. E.g. with ``o conf urllist push ftp://myurl/''

Cannot fetch authors/01mailrc.txt.gz

  Please, install Net::FTP as soon as possible. CPAN.pm installs it for you
  if you just type
      install Bundle::libnet

Trying with "/usr/local/bin/lynx -source" to get
    ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz

Looking up ftp.perl.org
Making FTP connection to ftp.perl.org
Can't Access `ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz'
Alert!: Unable to access document.

lynx: Can't access startfile

System call "/usr/local/bin/lynx -source
'ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz'  >
/u01/app/oracle/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt"
returned status 255 (wstat 65280)
Issuing "/usr/bin/ftp -n"
Lost connection
Not connected.
Local directory now /u01/app/oracle/.cpan/sources/modules
Not connected.
Not connected.
Not connected.
Not connected.
Not connected.
Not connected.
Bad luck... Still failed!
Can't access URL
ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz.

Please check, if the URLs I found in your configuration file () are valid.
The urllist can be edited. E.g. with ``o conf urllist push ftp://myurl/''

Cannot fetch modules/02packages.details.txt.gz

  Please, install Net::FTP as soon as possible. CPAN.pm installs it for you
  if you just type
      install Bundle::libnet

Trying with "/usr/local/bin/lynx -source" to get
    ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz

Looking up ftp.perl.org
Making FTP connection to ftp.perl.org
Can't Access `ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz'
Alert!: Unable to access document.

lynx: Can't access startfile

System call "/usr/local/bin/lynx -source
'ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz'  >
/u01/app/oracle/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data"
returned status 255 (wstat 65280)
Issuing "/usr/bin/ftp -n"
Lost connection
Not connected.
Local directory now /u01/app/oracle/.cpan/sources/modules
Not connected.
Not connected.
Not connected.
Not connected.
Not connected.
Not connected.
Bad luck... Still failed!
Can't access URL ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz.

Please check, if the URLs I found in your configuration file () are valid.
The urllist can be edited. E.g. with ``o conf urllist push ftp://myurl/''

Cannot fetch modules/03modlist.data.gz

Can't install Bundle::libnet, don't have an associated bundle file. :-(
 at /usr/perl5/5.00503/CPAN.pm line 1717

cpan>