Found out what the problem was the workstation wasn't sending any passwords.

Has anyone had problem with outlook 2003 accessing imap servers.

it doesn't seem playing friendly with my mail server.

I know that dovecot has configuration options to make LookOut! work:

# Workarounds for various client bugs:
# oe6-fetch-no-newmail:
# Never send EXISTS/RECENT when replying to FETCH command. Outlook Express
# seems to think they are FETCH replies and gives user "Message no longer
# in server" error. Note that OE6 still breaks even with this workaround
# if synchronization is set to "Headers Only".
# outlook-idle:
# Outlook and Outlook Express never abort IDLE command, so if no mail
# arrives in half a hour, Dovecot closes the connection. This is still
# fine, except Outlook doesn't connect back so you don't see if new mail
# arrives.

You might need to do some googling.

Cheers,
Mikal