On 07/15/04 11:05, Michael Lake wrote:
Peter Hardy wrote:

You can install a firefox search plugin:
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/quick/google.html , grep for Australia, click the linky thing. You need to be root to install plugins. And yes, the

I just installed Firefox yesterday on my PowerBook and when I go to install plugins it just crashes and exits. So perhaps thats the problem; it is trying to install into /usr/share/firefox/plugins.

On my x86 deebian box firefox doesn't crash. It behaves exactly as if the plugin installed correctly (ie: does nothing). An error message would have been nice, and saved me 10 minutes of headscratching.

I could not find any option in the preferences to tell it to install plugins into its own directory .firefix/plugins. I do not intend to login as root and install plugins.

A lot of extensions have the option of installing globally or in a user's home directory. It's a shame the search plugins don't. In fact, I think I'm going to go file a bug.

In the meantime, though, I guess you could try grabbing http://mycroft.mozdev.org/plugins/googleAU.src and putting that in a searchplugins directory under your homedir. You'd also need to copy /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/searchplugins/google.gif to googleAU.gif in your user one. Note that I'm not sure if this will actually work. :-)

--
Pete