Richard Heycock wrote:

Hi,

I have a few woes with regards to X11 forwarding over ssh. I have two
machines one debian testing and one debian unstable. I have exactly the
same sshd_config yet I one will allow me to tunnel X11 (unstable) and
the other won't (testing).

Hi Richard,
Not sure of your dist, and other stuff, this is what I do. Apparently the security changed in later versions and they shut down X forwarding by default.
I'm on debian.
1) Run gdmconfig... enable XDMCP
2) Open sshd_config... make sure you set this X11Forwarding yes
3) Now type on other machines... ssh -X <ip>

enjoy

I have turned maximum debug on the machine that doesn't work and there
is no mention of X11 unlike the other which clearly indicates that it is
setting up X11 forwarding.

I have checked the permission in both /etc/ssh and ~/.ssh and both are
the same. I have my private/public keys set up and I can log into both
machines without entering a password or a pass phrase(I'm using
ssh-agent).

Can anyone shed any light on this as I am going completely mad!

rgh