it may be time to replace the whole original array

3x40 gigs isnt much any more, so you might want to dump it off to
tape and make the raid5 again from scratch with the new disks

seeing as one has died it may be the beginings of more deaths
so replacing them all now might save problems in the future.

Dean

Rowling, Jill wrote:

I wonder if it would come up OK if you formatted and partitioned only 40GB
of the new disk, and used the other 40GB as a spare logical drive?
That is, trick the hardware into thinking it has three 40 GB disks again.

I recently had to replace both halves of a mirrored array (RAID-1 on
Solaris/SPARC) because I could not buy the same hardware that was originally
installed. I wonder if RAID-5 is similar?
The only time I've ever heard of different types of disks used in a RAID
system is when people make up a RAID-0 stripe from JBOD.

Cheers,

Jill.