Hi Shaun,

It's usually left as a registered scsi device.
If you cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/0

(numbers might be different), then you should see something that says
whether it is attached or not. If it does think it's still attached, then
you're right that something is messed up.

If a second, different, usb stick is plugged in, it'll come up as /dev/sdb
instead. This is why we had that nasty bunch of steps I mentioned before
to find which device it is.

Cheers,

 - Simon