On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:47:11 +0930, Trevor Tregoweth uttered
> I was wondering what people can tell me and help me with DNS setups.
>
> What i would like to know, is that when you specify an secondary DNS for a web
> site, when the primary site goes down, how does the secondary site take
> over........
>
> for example, if the first dns server goes off line, can and how does the
> secondary take over, i realise that you might have to copy the whole web site
> over, and that's fine, but I'm not sure on how to make the secondary site
> work, if that's possible....
>
> www.hotmail.com.        2726    IN      A       207.68.171.233
> www.hotmail.com.        2726    IN      A       207.68.172.239

That isn't a secondary IP for the website. That is called round-robin
DNS, as when a client looks up www.hotmail.com they will get one of
the two IPs. If one of them goes down, users may notice that they
can't browse the website, or some links just don't work.

Cheers,
--
                                        Steve
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'