One possibility is that the TMOUT variable set in the environment, to check this do <env |grep TMOUT> and see what the response is. eg

env |grep TMOUT
TMOUT=7200

means that the shell will time out in 7200 seconds or 2 hours. To change this put <export TMOUT=0> in your /etc/bashrc or ~/.bashrc file or comment out any existing equivalent line.

Another possibility is that ssh or a firewall is timing you out if you are logging in remotely. If you think this might be the problem have a look at the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file or check your firewall configuration.
Hope this helps,
Chris Freeman

Alan L Tyree wrote:

Hi,
I've just installed Debian Woody with the 2.4 kernel and (for the time
being) IceWm.

The system logs out a normal user after a period of inaction. I'm not
quite sure what the period is.

Where do I change this behavior?

Thanks for the help,
Alan