I have a response from a request to Trolltech for help in making qtopiadesktop work. It doesn't really make Sharp, the Zaurus or Trolltech look good, if it's open software and its support you are looking for.

Kevin Shackleton.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [Issue N53465] Problem with my using your QtopiaDesktop 1.7.0
Date:   Tue, 3 Aug 2004 06:23:24 +0200
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To:     Kevin Shackleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Wednesday, 28. Jul 2004 22:16 Kevin Shackleton wrote:
I have installed the product "qtopia-desktop-1.7.0-1rh9.i386.rpm" on
my Fedora Core 2 machine. I have a Zaurus 5500 with the 3.1 ROM
update.

From the FAQ (not on the web yet but coming)...

I am using Qtopia Desktop with a Zaurus and I'm having a problem.

If you are using Windows, please use the Sharp's Qtopia Desktop release.

Trolltech's Qtopia Desktop release is compatible with Trolltech's Qtopia
releases. Sharp's Qtopia is not compatible with Trolltech's Qtopia
Desktop. Specifically, the PIM applications have some bugs and Sharp
ROMs >= 3.0 use a different method of synchronisation and data storage.

If you have a SL-5500 or older you can run a 2.x ROM that is mostly
compatible with Qtopia Desktop. If you have a newer Zaurus you will
need to use Sharp's Qtopia Desktop release. Note: Sharp does not
support Linux or MacOS.

But I *really* want to use my Zaurus with Linux/MacOS. Isn't there
anything I can do?

You can install Opie and/or OpenZaurus. I do not know the specifics of what you need to install and how to do that. Please see those projects for more information.

--
Lincoln Ramsay
Trolltech AS, Waldemar Thranes gate 98, NO-0175 Oslo, Norway