Rowling, Jill wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone know if doorfs has been ported to Linux?

Probably not (you are talking about Solaris doors IPC right?).

Or, for that matter, why are doors supposed to be more efficient than
sockets?

As far as I managed to learn about them - what they do is to allow one process to make a function call (just like, for instance, your "main()" calls "printf()") in the memory space of another process.

The arch-example is the nscd - the nameserver caching daemon.

If it's not clear yet - this is much more efficient than sockets since
it avoids system calls (except for the initiating ones) and copying of
data to and from the kernel space both ways.

I wish Linux had something like this. Maybe when I settle down I'll
start a kernel project :)

Cheers,

--Amos