On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Visser, Martin wrote:

> I know it might seem to be a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but Nagios is
> a good service oriented monitoring tool that is OSS.

I've taken a quick look at this, but *for my purposes* I can't see it's
an improvement on just pinging.

Problem:
I've changed providors, and suddenly I'm getting outages that THEY can't
explain. We all suspect routing issues upstream, but no one seems to be
able to put a finger on it.

My current solution:
Run a script once per minute which pings Powertel's border gateway
(border-gw015-ge02.powertel.net.au) and emails me if two consecutive pings
fail.

Result:
Averaging one failure/hour.. sometimes several consecutively.

Question: Is it reasonable to expect <ping -c 1> to be a true indication
of the network status? I understand that ping waits one second before
giving an error. That sounds like a network problem to me. The "normal"
ping is about 7 ms. I ran this same script for 3 years with my previous
providor (optus) and it only complained on the rare occasions that there
was a genuine, serious problem.

BTW: Nagios looks terrific, but I have complete control of the various
services so they are less of a problem for me. It's the network status
that's giving me grief. As far as I can tell, to prove the network is up
Nagios basically does something similar to what I'm already doing.

David.